Other Heritage Properties

Eichner Tract

The Eichner tract is 34 acres of wooded land lying between Newfield Road and Cardinal Circle. It abuts the Paugnut State Forest on the north and Heritage’s 12-acre conservation easement to the south. The Newfield Brook is our neighbor to the west. This was once part of the 900-acre Fyler Farm on Saw Mill Hill Road. The homestead was built in 1808 by Captain Stephen Fyler, a veteran of the Revolution. It is still standing.

Fragale & Trobel Properties

The Fragale Property is 15 acres containing wetlands near the corner of Hassig Road and New Litchfield Street (Route 202.) It is nearly opposite the 20-acre Trobel Property, acquired in December 2001, which also contains wetlands.

Hanke Tract

Acquired in August 1989, the Hanke tract contains over five acres of woodlands abutting the Paugnut State Forest. Access is through Paugnut.

Hewitt Wildlife Refuge

Acquired in September 1973, the Hewitt Wildlife Refuge includes 17 acres between Weed Road and Westside Drive. It is near the first settlement in Torrington and was once called the “Barber Woodlot”.

Hogan

The Hogan Property includes 20 acres near the intersection of Weed Road and Highland Avenue. The wooded property slopes west to the Bantam River. This property was acquired in December of 1995.

John Brooks

Acquired in December 1991, The John Brooks Tract includes 15 wooded acres bordering the First Ecclesiastical Cemetery and Water Company property off Goshen Road.

Leon Zele

The Leon Zele Tract includes 12 wooded acres north of Alvord Park. It was donated in September 1969 by Leon and Leona Zele, owners of the old Zele Chevrolet dealership and Gold Star parents.

Northwoods

Acquired in February 2005, the Northwoods property includes 29 acres in the Burrville section of town.

Scroll to Top